Monday, May 2, 2011

Darkest Hours to Highest Praises (Part 2)

On the eve of their last Kentucky night while enjoying their last ride on the four wheeler, the unthinkable happened.

Brian and Ethan were in a horrible accident! Brian remembers being thrown from the four wheeler and he was sure Ethan was thrown as well.

When Brian managed to get on his feet he called out for Ethan. Ethan returned the call with a hurt cry. Brian in sheer fear ran over to his son who was bleeding from his ear and the back of his head. When Brian asked if he was ok Ethan shook his head no. Brian could see the fear in his eyes and knew he felt the same fear.

The hour long ride back to civialization felt like an eternity. Brian rested Ethan on his chest and together they sang songs, recalled past hunting trips and prayed. All in an effort to keep Ethan conscience and Brian calm as they made their way out of the woods where their buddies had raced ahead and called for help.

Just moments after exiting the woods the paramedics and EMT’s arrived, they quickly assessed Ethan and determined he needed to be Trauma Hawked to Cabell Huntington Trauma Center.

However, that decision required Ethan be transported to another location where the helicopter could land safely and in addition it prohibited Brian from being with his son during the scariest moment of their lives.

Brian had to let the trauma team do their job and take his son.

One of the paramedics just happened to be getting off duty at the same time and offered to drive Brian to the hospital with lights on and speeding all the way.

It was during that car ride that Brian was finally able to call me. And it was THAT call that made my heart stop.

Brian (my rock!) was crying. His voice was shaky and his words were unclear.

After several attempts Brian was finally able to say "Ethan and I were in a terrible accident on the four wheeler and Ethan has been trauma hawked to a hospital an hour away. I'm trying to get there now".

I had no idea exactly what had happened. I remember the laundry room I was standing in was spinning so fast I wanted to fall. My chest hurt so bad because I had stopped breathing. When I consciously made an effort to take a breath the pain in my heart was so severe I thought it might explode.

I called my parents and my sister and mumbled something but honestly, I don't know what. My sister dropped everything and came over to collect my kids and bring them to her house where they stayed and prayed with my brother-in-law Curtis.

Stephanie then orchestrated a prayer vigil at my house. One by one, people I know and trust and love so very much started showing up at my house. She made and answered all calls, made and served coffee. She handled EVERYTHING. My only responsibility was to breath and believe me when I tell you that was quite a feat. Every breath pierced my aching heart.

I have never ever felt fear or pain in the depths of my soul as I did that Monday night.

(more tomorrow)